Monday, February 15, 2016

Smile Even Though You Might Be Missing Some Teeth

I've learned a few things since I had to have my two front teeth removed two years ago.
First, nothing can stop you from smiling!

Second, you don't realize how important your teeth are until they have to be removed.

Third, people look at you -stare-when they see that you are missing your front teeth. It's a great way to tell a tall tale or have a little fun explaining why you are missing your teeth.

Scenario, I'm in the cafeteria at work waiting in line when I run into someone I haven't seen in years. I have a huge smile on my face and say "hi!!". This girl looks at me with shock in her face. I don't even wait for her to ask me about my teeth. I start by saying, "I'm sure you are wondering what happened to my teeth? Well, I was at a Chicago Blackhawks game and the puck flew over the boards and hit me in the mouth. It was in the news. Didn't you see it?". Her expression on her face was priceless. She was in shock and said, "oh my God, how horrible!". She went on to say that she was meeting up with the old gang from our previous job that night. I told her to tell them I say hello. This girl was a huge busy body and loved to gossip. So, I walked away and just had the best laugh. I would love to have been at that dinner to hear her tell the story.

Another time I was at work and was walking down the hall when the Director was walking towards me. I flashed a huge smile. Huge smile. The look on his face was one of shear horror. He looked at me and his face said it all. "Oh my God, what happened to you? Wait, doesn't the company offer dental insurance??"  Again, as I passed him, I just giggled.

You have to have a sense of humor. When things happen to you unexpectedly you have a choice to make. Either make the best out of it or walk around with a frown on your face. I chose to keep smiling and laughing over these past two years.

Tomorrow I start the process of getting my two front dental implants. They had to take bone from my hip to build my palate and I've had to wait to make sure I have enough bone for the implants. Two years waiting for the bone to grow. That's a long time to walk around and not have your two front teeth.

When I was in New York over the Holidays, I sat on Santa's lap. I smiled at him and said, "Santa, all I want is my two front teeth". He had a sweet smile on his face and said, "Well, I can't promise that. That's a pretty big wish". I said , I know Santa and he winked at me and smiled as he handed me a candy cane.

I am nervous about tomorrow. I guess tomorrow is the worst of the 5 upcoming appointments. They have to cut into my gum and expose the two dental screws. Just thinking about the injections makes my palms sweat. But, I will get through it. And, hopefully by the end of May I will have my two new front teeth. I'm sure I will be smiling from ear to ear.

I have to give a wonderful shout out to the University of Illinois in Chicago. Specifically, Dr. Cohen and Dr. Reisberg. Dr. Reisberg is a wonderful Dentist who knows what he is doing! He is kind and is an artist when it comes to restoring your smile. He has a very caring soul. Dr. Cohen, is also an artist and every patient is his masterpiece! As my Mom would say, God bless the day these two doctors were born. My heart is filled with gratitude for these two wonderful doctors and the entire team at the University of Illinois in Chicago Craniofacial Clinic. You make sure each person can smile!

Don't hold back. Smile and let everyone be touched by your beauty!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog, your smile and most of all your outlook on life! Good luck!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your positive attitude and humor is incredible and is so contagious. Stay positive, and keep smiling girl!

    ReplyDelete