Monday, March 21, 2016

God Bless The Day Susie Was Born














Little did I know that I already had a best friend even before I was born. Susie is my sister. We are about 18 months apart. She has always been my protector, my side kick, my partner in crime, my  supporter, my shoulder to lean on and my buddy.

See, when we were young, I always used Susie as my excuse. I would write on the sofa cushions with a Bic pen and tell my parents that Susie did it. I would fall asleep chewing gum and would wake up with it stuck to my hair. I'd tell my parents Susie put it in my hair. I blamed a lot of stuff on Susie and my parents bought it.

We would watch the Brady Bunch together, Bozo Circus, pretend we were wrestlers, play HORSE basketball, ride our bikes together, play catch and running bases in the front of our hose, kick the can and play hide and seek.

See, these were the days before internet, cable TV, mobile phones, texting and Facebook. You went out and played and came home before dark. You ate dinner as a family. And, you talked about how your day was. The girls set the table and cleared the dishes.

 I went to Kelly Day Camp as a young girl and came home crying after the first day. I told my parents that I was not going back to camp. The kids bullied me. They made fun of me because I had a scar and talked with a slight speech impediment. My Dad had already paid for the summer. And, this camp was not cheap. My parents tried to talk me into going back. Give it another go. I said, "no." And so, Susie went in my place. She went to this day camp for me. The entire summer. June, July and August. I never remember Susie being mad at me for having to take my place.

My first day of high school I was petrified. I had made friends in grade school but none of my close friends were going to Regina Dominican. I believe I was crying for days knowing that the first day of high school was approaching. I remember my sister making sure she was with me on my first day of school. She was there to take me to each class and made sure I survived my first day of high school. I was so afraid of leaving my comfort zone and going to a new school. But, there was Susie with me each step of the way, holding my hand and making sure I would make it. And, I did!

Susie also took me driving. I had no permit. Nor did I have a drivers license. But, she would take the car out and we would change seats. She would let me drive around the area. Those were the days. Windows rolled down and the radio blaring.

As we got older, Susie and I would go downtown to Rush street on the weekends. We would go from bar to bar and dance and drink and drink and dance. We had a blast. And, we always made sure we were home before our 2 a.m. curfew. Well, a few times we were a little late. We did use the pay phone to call my parents telling them we would be a little late. We would pull up to the house and all the lights were on. We were in big trouble. Big trouble.

After I graduated from high school I went to Felician College while trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I graduated from Felician College with an Associate of Arts degree. I then decided I was going to be a Nurse. I applied to Evanston Hospital School of Nursing.  A prerequisite was high school chemistry. I had never taken high school chemistry. So, that meant I had to take a chemistry class in order to get into nursing school. I signed up and started my chemistry class at North Park
College. After the second class I realized I would not pass this class. This was a college chemistry class and it was way over my head. I never took high school chemistry. So, I came home and told my parents that I was going to drop the class. It meant that I would have to go to Loyola Academy and take high school chemistry. Mind you, I had graduated from high school and had my Associate degree. But, I needed that high school chemistry class and this was the only way I could do it. So, I took chemistry at Loyola Academy two years after I graduated from college.

That wasn't really the bad part. The bad part was this-I had made plans to go to China with Susie at the end of the summer. We were all booked-airfare and tour. But, the class at Loyola was still going to be held when we were suppose to go to China. What did I do? I told my parents and sister that I could not go to China because I was still gonna be in class.  The trip was to be cancelled. But wait, my Mom and Dad decided to go on the trip with Susie. I'm laughing as I write this. I know Susie could have killed me. But, she didn't. She went on the trip with my parents while I stayed home andwent to  summer  school. Susie, yet again was my hero.

I passed the chemistry class and went on to become a Nurse. I worked at Northwestern on a female gynecology oncology unit for two years. I then spent a few years traveling the country while doing nursing for 4 month temporary assignments ( Irvine California, West Palm Beach Florida, King
George County hospital in Maryland, Phoenix and Univ of California in San Francisco.)  I was a "traveling nurse". They would give you a one day orientation to the unit, then you were on your own. In San Francisco, I worked on the AIDS floor. This was first in any hospital. Before you could go into any room you had to gown and glove. These patients were all in isolation. This shows you how far we have come in healthcare.

 I returned home one summer and went downtown with Susie to see the beautiful lakefront. Susie andI were walking along the lakefront when all of a sudden, KABOOM. I fell in an open MANHOLE. Yes, you read that correctly. When Susie realized I was not walking next to her, she looked back and saw me hanging by my elbows as my body was hanging through the manhole. Somehow, Susie was able to put her arms under my arms and after a few tries, I was able to get out of the manhole. She saved me yet again. Honest to God, there was no drinking involved. We were just walking and talking and laughing.

I came out to my sister when we went to the Wisconsin State Fair. I was in my mid to late twenties.  I was so afraid to come out to her. I was so afraid of being rejected or being a disappointment. I knew in my heart that she would be loving and approving but there was always that possibility of rejection. Some of my friends suffered horrible rejection from their parents, siblings and friends. And even though I knew that would not happen I just was so afraid of the possibility. I lived my life in secrecy.

You have to understand that times were different back then. Being gay was considered a sin and I was brought up Catholic and attended all Catholic schools. It's hard to put into words. I know Susie was upset that I did not come out to her first. I had told my sister Sherry a few months earlier. I know that hurt her deeply that I did not tell her first. That is on me and has nothing to do with Susie. It was my fear.

As a young adult, my fear of coming out led me to live in secrecy. But, I knew I could not live my life as a lie. And so, I came out to my family, friends and co workers. I am who I am. You either like me or you don't.  I was Susie's Maid of Honor and she was my Maid of Honor.

Susie has always accepted me for being me. She has such a kind, loving heart. She has volunteered with me as I become more active in the cleft lip/palate community. As we get older, our bond becomes even stronger. Susie has helped shape my life-for the better. I am a better person because of her.

Not sure how this happened, but we are now going to Estate Sales. And, Susie turned me on to butterflies. We were in Aruba and we went to the Butterfly farm. She knew a lot of the names of the butterflies and would say, "Look, there is a Monarch". A butterfly would land on me and she would quietly whisper to me that it's good luck if a butterfly lands on you.

I'm lucky alright! God sent me my angel and her name is Susie. My Boopie!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Patty what kind words. Honestly it is I who is a better person because of you. You have such a kind heart.
    Forever sisters, forever friends. Looking forward to more great times together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so lucky to have each other ! What a beautiful story ! Again, a tear jerker ! Thanks for sharing ! Pat, you are a wonderful person and I know that from Nursing school. Nothing would have broke that friendship in those 3 crazy years !

    ReplyDelete