Sunday, March 20, 2016

Nursing is a wonderful career

Nursing is a wonderful career

A few weeks ago, I met up with a team of labor and delivery nurses and doctors. I had not seen them for over 20 years. But, it was as if time did not go by. We met at Meier's Tavern, ate tater tots and sipped our beverages as we reminisced. The laughter and the hugs-we were loud and we were happy. It was a large turnout. Probably 25 people that came out on a cold Chicago winter night to meet up with old co-workers/friends.

When I was a labor and delivery nurse at Evanston Hospital I was around 25 years old. I had done
medical and surgical nursing. I had administered chemotherapy. I had worked at county hospitals and private hospitals. But, I knew nothing about labor and delivery. And, to be honest, I just never felt comfortable being a L&D nurse. Some nurses were made to work in these fast paced areas-L&D or in the Emergency Room. They loved it when someone yelled "crash section", "she is crowning", "footling breech", "decels". Not me. I wanted to hide. I hated the life and death part of working in L&D. One minute everything is going great with your patient. You are out laughing at the nursing station with your fellow nurses and then, BAM, the fetal heart rate tracing looks bad, someone comes in with no fetal movement, or a Mom that is 28 weeks is in active labor.

I had great mentors in L&D. They tried to show me the way. They showed me how to start an IV, administer Pitocin or MagSulfate, push with a patient and monitor the baby's heart rate. They were there when I had to scrub for a crash c-section. The doctor initiated me during my first month on the job. The doctor threw an Alice clamp across the room because I handed him the wrong instrument. I handed him a T clamp and he started throwing instruments across the room. I stepped down, and the circulating nurse stepped in. She was there to catch me when I stumbled.


Working in L&D is a high pressure job. It's great when the board is empty and you can hang out with the nurses and doctors at the nursing station. It's absolutely a miracle each and every time a baby is born and you are there to experience it and have had some small part in that special moment. When it is busy, well, anything goes. All hell breaks loose. It's not all happy with cute Gerber babies being born. There are tragedies-stillborn, babies born with multiple deformities, and mothers that die in childbirth.

The labor and delivery nurses and doctors are there for you. In good times and bad times. They hold your hand, they shout encouragement, and they want the very best outcome for you and your baby. They give everything they got.

And so, I guess that is why L&D nurses and doctors are so special. You have to work well together. You have to have each other's back. You have to be there for each other. The normal deliveries are so rewarding, but it is the more complicated pregnancies and deliveries that makes you come together. When one nurse is weak, a stronger nurse steps in.

Twenty years ago, you could smoke in the hospital. In the nurses lounge you could grab a quick smoke and then run out and adjust your patient's IV Pitocin.  Times have changed. That night, at Meier's Tavern, they handed out packs of candy cigarettes. It reminded us of the old days when you could smoke. But, the pack of candy cigarettes serves as a reminder that although things do indeed change, there are things that don't change such as the bond of nurses and doctors. Good people who want to do the best job taking care of you.

I have been so fortunate to work with such a wonderful team. They had a huge impact on my life-they taught me about teamwork, camaraderie, and compassion.

I am so very proud to be a nurse. It's been a very rewarding profession. And, I am the person I am today because I chose to become a nurse. My patients and coworkers changed me-for the better!

All I have to do is look at this pack of cigarettes and a smile comes over my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment