Sunday, March 20, 2016

Simon says, Pledge Allegiance to the Flag

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: “I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

I pledge allegiance to the flag.

Going back for my Grade school reunion reminded me of this experience.

I think I was in 4th grade and every day a student was picked to say the Pledge of Allegiance over the speaker system. It was a big deal! It was an honor. It was your 5 minutes of fame.

The room was actually a very small office where there was this huge silver microphone. You know the type of microphone. The type you see in the hands of singers-Elvis or Frank Sinatra.  So big that singers had to hold it in both hands as they sang.

The room was next to the Principal's office. This was the microphone that was used to make major announcements throughout the school. If your name was called to go to the Principal's office, it was because someone was using this microphone.

I knew maybe a week before that my day to say the pledge of Allegiance was coming up. I would sit with my Mom in the breakfast room as I practiced the pledge. I had problems with pronunciation -especially words with S and T in them. I would say the pledge and my Mom would listen carefully and correct me if there were words that she could not understand. I worked hard on saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Every day after school I would practice with my Mom

Well, the big day came. I was so excited. I mean crazy happy excited. I remember getting to the office way ahead of time. I did not want to be late. I remember sitting at the desk holding the huge silver microphone in my hands. I moved closer to the microphone. I wanted to make sure everyone could hear me.

The woman flipped some switches on the desk and made the announcement that "Patty Simon would now be saying the Pledge of Allegiance" and to stand. She then handed me the microphone. I started to say, "I pledge allegiance" and well, I think I blew out the speakers. I was way too excited. And, way too loud. The woman looked at me before I could continue and signaled to not shout but to talk softer. And so I did. I have to say that I nailed it. I said the Pledge beautifully. Oh, I wish my parents were at school to hear me.

I finished the pledge and walked back to my home room class with a great big smile on my face. All of the practicing payed off. I did a great job. I smiled nonstop for the entire day. I not only was proud to be an American but I was also proud of myself. I had a small speech impediment but that did not stop me from doing what every other kid in school could do. When it came time for me to step up to the microphone, I cherished the moment and grabbed the microphone with both hands. And, a huge smile came over my face.

It was a great confidence booster for me. And, I was so proud to say the words of Pledge of Allegiance.

Maybe now is the time that we all need to stand tall and be proud to be an American. Reinstalling this faith and unity in citizens is key to our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment