Sunday, March 20, 2016

Simon says always have a back up plan

Oh my God! Have you ever lost your phone? You search your purse, your pockets, your coat pockets looking for your phone. However, you can't find it. All of a sudden you start going into a panic. You tear your house apart. You tear your car apart. You use someone else's phone to call your mobile phone to see if you can hear your special ring.

You say to yourself that it has all your information in it. Phone numbers, access to your Email, your pictures-well, everything. For the life of you, you can't remember anyone's phone number. If you had to call someone from memory you realize your brain is mush. It's not your fault. It's Apple, Samsung, etc.  They made you rely on technology so much that you can't rely on your memory to recall phone numbers, addresses, last names, Doctor's names or how to get to point A to Point B without the darn mobile phone.

Remember when you knew all of your friends phone numbers by heart? You used to use a telephone book to look up the address for a plumber or painter. You knew how to read a map and carried maps in your car. For me, I had maps of the City of Chicago, Wisconsin and  a highway map of the United States.

You carried people's business cards in your wallet. If you needed someone's number you would rifle through your wallet reviewing your stack of business cards. You then would use your phone at home (land line). Or, if you were out, you would always make sure you had plenty of quarters with you in case you needed to use a pay phone. Back then, pay phones were everywhere-gas stations, food stores, bars, etc.

Land lines and pay phones are becoming extinct. So is the answering machine. I'm the type of person that will always have a land line. Just in case. And, of course, I have to have the answering machine hooked up to the phone. Again, just in case. Now, the only time I use the land line is to call my cell phone number to see if I can hear the cell phone ringing and then I can locate the cell phone.

Oh yes, the cell phone. It was lost. I unknowingly dropped it at a restaurant while having dinner. I realized I didn't have my phone when I got home. I tore the house apart, the car and checked the pockets of all the clothes I was wearing. I retraced my steps and used my Ipad to Google the restaurant's phone number and then used my land line to call the restaurant. After speaking to several people and describing where in the restaurant I was sitting they found my phone. It was as if I won the lottery. They had my phone. My connection to the world was only disconnected for a few hours. I made a sign of the cross and said, "thank you Jesus".

Now, if only Gino's East would call me to tel me they found my wallet. That will not be happening. My wallet was stolen the day after Christmas while at the restaurant in downtown Chicago. My hometown. I was not traveling abroad or in a different state. I was in Chicago. Drivers license, credit cards, cash station card, insurance cards, gift cards and treasured pictures-stolen. Never to be returned.

You don't realize how much you use something until it's gone. It's these life lessons that speak to you. An IPhone and wallet can all be replaced. Albeit a real pain but still replaceable. These are objects. Objects. One thing that can never be replaced is your family and friends. All the memories, laughter, good times, special moments and the love you feel in your heart knowing you are loved!



No comments:

Post a Comment